Sunday, August 8, 2010

Copper Tri and I didn't die

This Saturday I signed up for the Copper Triangle bike ride with some friends. I was pretty nervous about the ride and rightfully so...It was so hard and I was completely out of my league. I'm not in the best of shape right now and haven't trained much this summer, so it was pretty darn tough. The ride consisted of 78 miles and 4 mountain passes that involved 6,000 feet of climbing. I was quite tempted to throw in the towel at mile 72 and wanted to quit (Vail Pass was SOOOO hard), but managed to push through. What a relief to cross the finish line and be done. It took me 8 crazy hours of ride time and I was riding solo the whole day which made it extra long. While I'm so glad I finished, I'm not terribly excited about the notion of signing up next year. :-)

At the first rest stop I asked a man to take my picture. He looked surprised that I asked, but obliged. Afterwards the lady with him said, "The Governor of Colorado just took your picture." I was stunned for a moment...and then Governor Ritter said, "I think that's the first time someones asked me to take a picture for them [and not with them]." It was so funny! Everyone looks different in spandex and a helmet; that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Our third mnt pass of the day was over Battle Mountain and it was spectacular! The picture speaks for itself! Amy and Adam waited for me at the top of Vail Pass and we finished the ride together. I've never been so happy to finish anything in my life!
On Sunday Amy's coworker and husband took us sailing on Lake Dillon. It was so amazing and beautiful! I got to drive the boat and practice "Tack" and "Jibe". I became quite the pro - what a great time! It was a perfect Colorado weekend full of adventure, sport, beauty, strength, and good friends!

4 comments:

Honeycutt Family said...

Wow! Gorgeous!

Matthew Crocker said...

Too funny. Gov. Ritter needed to be taken down a notch!

amanda said...

Hey Kari... I think this is the first time I commented :) That story with gov. ritter is hilarious!!!

song said...

I'm glad the lady with the Gov said something because that's hilarious! Jealous of your sportiness.