I know it is Thursday night and a school night and I have work tomorrow, but I have NO problem staying up past my bedtime for a good night out with the girls line dancing, a quality dinner with a friend or a hot date.
I'm home just after 10:30pm and that is not a good sign.
Wes and I met for drinks tonight at a nice neighbor restaurant/bar near my house. He was running late and I made conversation with another man nearby when he asked me who I was waiting on. I explained it was a first date and we chatted about the woes of dating before Wes arrived.
Let's just say 40min into the date when Wes stepped away I mouthed "Noooooooo" to other guy and he gave me a sympathetic look.
I don't have anything terrible to say about him or his character, but overall we did not click. He was very nice and I can tell he is an all-around good guy. In fact I'm sure he desires a relationship, would love to be married, finds significance in the small things, and values what is important. I just couldn't enjoy my time around him and felt like I was giving 150% to survive and make the most of the evening. Conversation was slow, uninteresting, and quite honestly, I was bored.
I called my friend Jen from work and told her about the date on my way home (especially since she texted me, "if your date's not going well I'm at X bar and you should join me). She said, was it bad like "what was your college major?" or bad like "what do you like to do for fun?". But it was bad like "what was your college major?". There was a rough start to the date with too many formal "get to know you questions" that didn't allow any one's personality to shine and I felt like I had to repeat a lot of what I already told him over the phone or from our first encounter. I really tried to steer from that, but darn it, it kept going back to the basics and I just couldn't try anymore. He was also quite entranced by my tan and mentioned it three or four times and also put a finger on my bare shoulder to touch my skin. It was just awkward (I wish you could have witnessed it because you would have laughed).
Later the conversation moved to "religion" and I found out he's a "Sun Worshipper and Exercise Worshipper" and doesn't consider himself "religious" even though his last girlfriend was "super religious", aka Christian. He mentioned Denver Seminary and how it is a Baptist school that brain-washes people, so I just felt like it wasn't necessary to bring up my Baptist background and support for the school.
Based on my lack of attraction towards him and his lack of "religion" I knew it was time to go. The live music started up at 10pm, and since it became loud I found it very appropriate to end the date (pay my own bill, no coupon required) and leave.
Is it bad when you NEED Chardonnay to get through a date??? Sadly, my wine saw me through those two hours.
We walked a few blocks to the end point before parting ways to our cars and he asked if I would like to go out again and I replied with a direct [& kind] response of "No, I don't think so, but thank you for meeting up with me tonight."
I just couldn't bear the thought of dodging phone calls or text messages and eventually having to say no, so thought I thought it was best to just nip it right then and there. He was super polite and sweet and said OK and no problem, and we hugged and parted ways.
Phew.
I definitely need to only say yes to dates that are a) really good looking and I feel intrigued to go out with him, or b) makes me laugh and has a good personality. I have no motivation for anything else, if I'm being honest...
2 comments:
Ew. I felt awkward just reading it. Sorry friend.
Ick. Oh well, good job saying a polite "No Thanks!" so you don't have to repeat it!
Post a Comment