He dropped the C-word and we haven't even met up for a date yet.
I know I complain when I don't have dates, so I don't want to sound ungrateful, but it's not a good sign to semi-dread one before it starts.
I met Wes at a birthday celebration a few weeks back and we've had some phone conversations and phone tag, and chatted again tonight. After about 15 minutes of semi-awkward chat about where I went grocery shopping that night and how I used to live in MN (he told me MN has a lot of lakes...) we finally threw out the thought of meeting for drinks this week. I have time Thursday evening, so I suggested that night. And since I don't feel like crossing town to meet him, and he offered up how he works from home on Friday, I thought he should come to my neighborhood. He asked if I knew of a place, and I suggested a bar that is pretty fun on Thursday nights and has live music. When I told him the name of the place he said, "I will have to see if the server will let me use my 10% COUPON from volleyball."
Seriously. Did he just mention a COUPON???
It's technically Ladies Night which means $2 drinks for me. Now he'll save $0.20 per drink. Sweet.
What a deal.
He's a Software Engineer who just bought a house in a very nice neighborhood. Let's not mention coupons. And I'm a little sensitive with coupons after a bad blind date 2 years ago when the guy went to pay for dinner at a nice steakhouse but failed to read the fine print and the coupon was returned.
Wes must have realized how lame it sounded and sort of back tracked a bit to down play the coupon. And I tried to be really polite and said something along the lines of "hey, a deals a deal" (but secretly thinking, this date is going to suck). But it's too late dude, you already used the C-word.
It's not a deal-breaker, but it's just funny.
Wish me luck...he seems SUPER nice, but potential DUD (based on some very painful phone convo's).
4 comments:
OHMYGOSH I thought you meant the OTHER c-word!!! Girl coupon is nothing compared to what I was invisioning!! And coming from this frugal chick, I am uber impressed that a grown man is using coupons. Now if only I could get Mark interested....!
I'm all about using coupons...just NOT on a first, second, or third date. It sounds really cheap. And completely unnecessary to volunteer that info over the phone. Maybe if he had spontaneously pulled it out when the check came, that would have been different.
And haha, to the c-word...oh Jenny...
Ugh--I hope the date turns out better than your phone conversation. Keep us posted!
Kari, I only started reading your blog a few days ago (Sarah hasn't updated hers in over a year - hope you don't mind me clicking in from her page?) and you make me laugh so much!
I also wondered which "C" word you meant and as an avid coupon user I know where the guy was coming from, I guess he just didn't think it through. Typical man - speak then engage brain! lol
I hope you enjoy your date. I wonder where he does his grocery shopping...used to live...? So many interesting things for you to talk about!
Post a Comment