Behind every strong man is a strong woman and behind everyone strong family is a pillar of strength that started it all. Our Grandma is the pillar in our family. She is the first to pray for all of our requests. She's the first to remember your birthday and send a card. She's the first to send a note, just to let you know she's thinking of you and praying over you.
Weekends like this remind me of how grateful I truly am to have an amazing family. Each person has a relationship with Christ. Each person is uniquely wonderful and charismatic with special gifts. Of course, like any other family we have a great blend...the leader, the doctor, the intellect, the rock, the organizer, the nurturer, the artist, the athlete, the reader, the listener, the entertainer, the encourager, the driven one. We're not perfect, but we definitely exude love and sacrifice, especially when faced with sickness or sadness.
This weekend I ventured to the northern city of Duluth, MN (don't cha know?) to celebrate my older cousin's union to his beautiful bride. A unique setting at Glensheen Mansion with a touch of 1920s apparel and music created an amazing backdrop for a creative couple like Andrew and Janelle.
Hours before the wedding began my sweet grandma, the rock of our family, experienced a heart attack that landed her a commute by ambulance to the hospital in which they rushed her to put in a stent due to 95% blockage in the coronary artery leading to the left ventricle. (I think I have that right...).
My parents, uncles and aunts were by her side and unsure if they could make the wedding. But true to form, Grandma kicked them out of the hospital so they could attend the wedding. However, it was truly upsetting that she couldn't join us. It's not often you get all 4 kids, 4 spouses, all 8 grand kids and all 4 great-grand kids in the same room together. And I know it was greatly disappointing to all of us.
She's been in for two days and hopes to get out tomorrow. Her tests look great and she's getting her strength back. She's hesitant to leave too early, so we want to do what is best for her. But if you think of it, pray for a 100% recovery with no follow ups or clots.
Phew...a weekend of excitement, scares, and blessings!
3 comments:
Kari, I have been praying for your Grandma. I am so sorry to hear she couldn't attend the wedding. Keep me updated on her prognosis!
Hope you had an enjoyable time with your family though!!
O so sad. I can't imagine how sad she was to miss everything. I am so glad she is ok. What a great lady sending everyone off to enjoy the wedding.
Mel
Glad she's feeling better. What a crazy way to start a wedding. It's so sad she had to miss it :(
Post a Comment