Monday, May 4, 2009

Join the MS Movement

Saturday my family and I participated in the Walk MS to help Stomp Out Multiple Sclerosis. This was my 4th year participating in the Walk MS after my sister's diagnosis in June 2005. This year I decided to get involved on the volunteer side and give back a little by helping. This society is very close to my heart and I hope to one day work with them full-time if that door should ever open.At 4am on Saturday I found myself wide awake and ready to go! I was the Start/Finish Line crew coordinator and had 20 high schoolers help me out. They held the line until the walk began and cheered, yelled, and thanked everyone walking through. At the finish line the kids were to interview walkers and get their stories of why they are walking and what they enjoyed about the walk. I somehow found myself on stage with the microphone (yikes) as one of the "Energetic Voices" at the finish line. After several hours of announcing, cheering, yelling, and thanking, I was spent! Not to mention, keeping up the energy to the ears of 6,000 participants.

It was an incredible experience and I felt like this is where I belong. I haven't had that much fun in a long time and it really struck in a chord in my sensitive little heart. Of course, it was emotional watching so many people suffering from this disease as they crossed the finish line with walkers, canes, and wheel chairs. But this walk was about hope and community. We aren't alone in this battle against MS. We can unite together and help find a cure so other families don't face the battles that our family has.

They are so close to coming out with a new drug that is oral as opposed to a painful shot. This is really exciting news!!!

If you feel lead to help supporting the MS Society I am currently fundraising through July for the Bike MS ride June 27-28th. Shiloh and I will be riding another 150 miles to show our support for her father and my sister. Please visit this link to donate: http://main.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR/Bike/COCBikeEvents?px=1911579&pg=personal&fr_id=10973&s_tafId=105869
~
Feeling the power: both a megaphone and walkie-talkie!
Amanda and boyfriend Nick during the walkDawn and I got Amanda on stage to talk to her...all three of us were cryingBeing an Energetic Voice with Cheering crew coordinator Kathryn
My family and Shiloh's family - I'm so glad we can do this together!Dean and I at the end. Dean will be riding the Bike MS with Shiloh and I.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

You did a great job. I had tears in my eyes too a few times.