Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Just when I thought I'd "seen" it all

And just when I thought I’d "seen" it all…I got a curve ball thrown my way.

I’ve dated enough to know that there are some pretty crazy guys out there. Most of my first dates are with men whom I haven’t known beforehand, so the night can be full of surprises, some good and some bad once you start uncovering who they are. Most of my “surprises” up until this weekend involved kids, careers, and divorces - oh how I miss the good ol' days.

About 6 weeks ago I had a date with a huge extrovert; this guy made me look quiet and calm due to his large personality and ridiculously chatty nature. Our date was actually the most fun I’ve had in over two years. It was casual and enjoyable and I just laughed a ton. While we never scratched the surface with any depth, it was a pleasurable evening. The weeks that followed included text messages, some surface-level phone calls, etc. Last week we texted and made plans to hang out Thursday; though it wasn’t technically a date since we met up to watch the Nuggets game with his friend, it was still a good time and I was out pretty late that night. He apologized for the casual nature of the date and assured me that when he got back from his trip he would plan a great date for us and take care of everything.

Saturday I received a text message from him that was initiating a conversation and wanting to touch base. I replied back some time later (since I was out with friends) and asked how San Diego was. His response to my seemingly innocent question was a picture of him with a towel on, but only from his waist to his neck, flexing his muscles.

Whoa! What the heck? Why is he sending me this? I’ve seen him three times within 10 weeks, we went on one date 6 weeks earlier and I don’t really know him.

Not sure the tone of his picture-text I reply back with sarcasm about how he must be bored. Some more texts went back and forth and I receive a second picture from him, but this time he was Naked as a "Jay" Bird in the mirror, so basically his whole entire backside in the reflection. Gross. Ewww. Totally inappropriate. What the heck? What kind of girl does he think I am?

Completely caught of guard, and utterly turned off in every possible way, I opted to call him (and wanted to avoid a 3rd picture...if you know what I mean) and address this directly since I was at a total loss of what to reply back. Paraphrasing the conversation, I was very annoyed on the phone and he thought it was funny and couldn’t understand why I thought it was a big deal. I explained to him that I didn’t know what he was expecting in return and I am not that kind of girl that sees humor in things like that especially when I don’t know the guy. He’s not my husband, so why would I want to see a picture of a nekkid dude??? Anyway, the conversation ended with tension and me being annoyed (and still shocked by this whole situation) and him not understanding why I wasn’t finding it funny and was making too big a deal out of it.

OK, granted, I had yet to broach the subject of Jesus with him (although those pictures answer that…), I'd been warned that he might not be a Christian (and yes, it begs the question, why go out again...I know...); I still had yet to chat with him about it and see if there was any connection to God in his life. This will certainly teach me to not bring that stuff up earlier, even if I find the guy entertaining. And the more time that has gone by the more annoyed I am by the situation. What started off as just a few G-rated laughs over the course of 5 weeks took a very unnecessary R-rated turn that offended me and now I have no desire to ever see him again.

Seriously. What is wrong with people?
I hope he never calls again, but I’ve already prepared my “thanks but no thanks speech”.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow! That is crazy...and so rude of him.

Honeycutt Family said...

WOW! I'm at a loss of words (but I am sort of laughing out of shock!!!!!)
You need to write a book one day about all of your escapades with these crazy dudes!

Melissa said...

Wow. I can't imagine sending a text like that to my husband let alone to someone I had been on one date with. Seriously Kari you have experienced it all.
So sorry.

Mel

Shannon said...

You sure have some crazy experiences. I can't believe it.

j said...

Wow. wow. I am at a total loss here Kari. You HAVE seen it all (haha, no pun intended!) You totally have to write a book one day! I am glad you called to tell him how totally wrong he was. Sorry about that! Seriously God is going to bless you with one A-mazing man!!!!

Joseph "Raven" Penta said...

I think you're looking at this all wrong... you should be thinking about how classy he is for not sending a shot of the front ;-)

But seriously, who takes pictures of themselves in the mirror?