Friday, October 12, 2007

U R A Q T...LOL...TTYL --> Should not be used to pursue

Dating when you're 26 vs. 16 years old is actually not all that different. Shocking huh? Text messages and emails have replaced passing notes, having his friends find out information from your friends about your interests or dating status. It's all the same. Boy likes girl and doesn't know how to show it, so passive approaches seem to work best.

I don't get it. If I was a guy I would be all over it. I would understand the importance of getting to know this intriguing girl. I would chat with her when possible, try to find common interests, and if I felt motivated enough to take her out I would think of something unique or creative to invite her to. The zoo, a festival, a fun Latin restaurant with live music, take her dancing, etc. I would not "ask her to dinner and a movie." I would not attempt cheesy lines, but just try some direct approaches and be honest along the way.

The reason I'm throwing all this out there is because I am being pursued by a guy right now the same way I was pursued when I was 16. He's nervous when he talks to me, he sort of avoids me until I say hi first, he sends me emails daily asking lame questions (even though he just saw me at the gym at work and could have struck up a much better convo in person then email convo's), he asks his friends to find out if I'm single, he used a cheesy line in an email about my smile brightening my eyes, and HE'S PURSUING ALL THIS VIA EMAIL. Typing out sentences to a guy I don't even know is not going to get me all that worked up to date him. In fact it's becoming a huge turn off. And since he hasn't actually asked me out (yet) I can't technically reject him. It really is humorous. I know I sound picky and harsh when I share my dating woes on this blog site, but am I really asking for that much? I think this guy is 33 years old...I just thought he would have it together a bit more. I happen to be quite out-going, warm, and a good conversationalist, so if you're able to talk to me you'll find out a lot right away. I'm not a tough cookie to crack. I won't blow you off and I won't look at you like you're stupid.

I do wish this guy the best of luck in his dating adventures. I do hope he works on "his game" and spends less time timidly testing the water, and learns to just to dive in and see if he can swim. Women are not that scary and we're quite open to getting to know a nice guy and checking out his humor and interests. Be confident, be yourself, and make her feel important, and above all else - do it in person not through email!!

2 comments:

Honeycutt Family said...

I'm so old and out of it that I don't even know what all of your acronyms mean at the top. All I got was "LOL".
Sad, but true, story: A year or so ago I emailed my 15 year old brother and asked him what "LOL" meant. He said, "Yeah, a lot of older people don't know what that means." :(
Still praying for you in the "man dept."
Love,
Jen

Anonymous said...

kar-bear, i must say, your commentary on life is always so refreshing and entertaining -- good thing you can handle life's curve-balls with such elegance... who know's, maybe someday the 'life of kari' will become a national best seller? ;o)