Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Doing the Math

I realize how hard it is to measure the stop and start of new seasons in life when nothing is new to start or stop. I have literally had the exact same lifestyle since I graduated from college and aside from my birthday there is nothing to "start".
Many of my friends with kids are watching their pre-schooler kick off the start for a new school year this month. And while they are just the parents, they're personally embracing this new season and looking at Fall as a fresh start, just like a kid starting school. They have their adult version of a new back pack, sharpened pencils, and eagerly awaiting what the next few months holds for them.

So now I'm searching for that same way to acknowledge a fresh start, measure the success, and recognize when it has arrived. And I figure turning 30 next summer is a great timeline to work with. I decided this to make this the year of numbers and changing those numbers.

Here are several examples:
  • Increasing the savings account
  • Decreasing any debt
  • Decreasing the number on the scale
  • Increasing my weights at the gym
  • Increasing how far I can run

Now I do have actual numbers in mind for the above examples, but I'll just keep that to myself. However, I promise you when I achieve those numbers, I'll call it out since it will be a great accomplishment.

I'm well on my way and have achieved my first round of bulking up the savings and I've joined a new gym and am in my third week of consistently attending my weight class. Now I need to up my weekly running, but that will happen soon (this week).

So I'm bound and determined to measure my 20s as a success with a great financial foundation building and fit figure to show for it. I hope the 30s will be a time to measure NEW life changes, and I'll use the next 10.5 months of my 20s to tie up some lazy loose ends.

2 comments:

Jennifer McHam said...

You go girl! I know a girl who did a "30 by 30 list". She has 30 goals that she wanted to hit by the time she turned 30. That seems like a LOT of goals. Then again, some of them could be things like "Get eyebrows trimmed." haha.

Anonymous said...

Haha, I think I too have those exact goals in mind ;o)
Jenny Beth