Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Bike MS is 3 days away!

The Bike MS ride is 3 days away and I can hardly believe it! And I'm trying not to panic since I haven't ridden as much this year compared to last year. I figure the adrenaline of the ride, sheer determination, and team encouragement will carry me across the finish line when my legs, lungs, and other "southerly" regions are in pain.
I'm 56% away from hitting my goal which is really amazing and touching. I technically have through August to continue all fundraising, but it would be exciting to hit my goal in July. I hope you'll take time to see if a donation fits into your budget: big or small every dollar helps and it means a great deal to me personally.

Having a sister who's relied on the resources from the MS Society I can assure you how helpful these things have been for our family. It's a very scary experience:, hearing for the first time that you have MS, and to know that here is a place that will assist you with information, financial support for medication, or actual equipment needed to function is very comforting.

I know people are always asking for donations for random causes and you want to give, but often wonder, "what does it go towards?" Well here is a look at what these dollars raised can help do for someone who is diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis:

$2,000 will provide...
-2 sets of hand controls added to a van
-1 ramp so a person can exit/enter their home safely
-50 days of attendance at an adult day enrichment program specializing in MS
-3 reclining lift chairs-100 hours of case management services
-15 walkers with wheels, brakes and a seat
-10 window air-conditioning units to fight off the heat for someone with MS

Or another way to look at it:
$10 provides 10 educational booklets for a person newly diagnosed with MS.
$50 provides transportation assistance for people with MS.
$100 provides two one-hour yoga classes for a person with MS, critical to an individual’s physical rehabilitation
$500 provides financial assistance to families affected by the high-cost burden of living with MS.
$1,000 provides one month of peer counseling support for 300 people with MS.
$2,500 provides one educational program, such as "Mood Swings & Memory Loss" for 100 people.
$5,000 provides 48 hours of respite for ten caregivers.
$44,000 provides a research grant for a scientist seeking a cure for MS.

I hope you'll take a second to consider if your budget can spare anything this month or next. I also ask for your prayers for the safety of our riders and that these two days on the bike will change people's lives and hearts.

You can donate online right now, or if you'd like to write a check please make it out to National MS Society Colorado Chapter with Kari Shrader in the memo line. You can deliver the check to me or mail it to: National MS Society, MS Bike Ride, PO Box 172685, Denver, CO 80217. Don't forget that your donation is tax deductible!!!

You can visit the web address:
http://main.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR/Bike/COCBikeEvents?px=1911579&pg=personal&fr_id=13405&et=Sx625CvE4X7B9X6woZIC7Q..&s_tafId=146062
Blessings,
kari

No comments: