My dad is a gym rat now. High five Dad! Just one day after being released from the hospital I took him to the rec center and signed him for a three month membership. It was so easy. I was prepared to use threatening language to convince him to join. "Do you want to be around for your grandkids someday?" "Do you want Mom to have to see you in that hospital bed again and crying?" But Dad spared me from the threats and he gladly signed up. And thanks to my dear friend at work who is the asst buyer for men's apparel, I hooked my dad up with a full line of workout apparel so he can be very cool at the gym. Minus the part where he tucked his tee shirt into his windpants, we got everything straightened out and he looked cool. Keep it up Dad!
Our pastor is going through an AWESOME series right now called "Into the Wilderness" and it's about anger towards God when things don't turn out the way we wanted them to. The first week he talked about how it's OK to give the anger to God because He can take it. Being angry at God is actually a sign of strength because you know Him and you're dealing with the emotions as opposed to weakly stuffing them away. And last week our pastor discussed what it looks like to turn from God instead of going to him. He made great points about how we're in charge of our feelings, so when we experience deep hurt from a person or our church we can decide how it affects our life instead of playing the victim card (I am definitely paraphrasing). He also referenced a great verse about how God truly is faithful to us and He will deliver despite our bitterness or hurt. 1 Cor 10:13 "...And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted [i.e. trials or hardships] beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." I love that verse. What hope is found in those words! I don't have my notes with me from the sermons, but I hope you get the jest. If this intrigues you in the slightest, definitely download his sermons online and check it out. www.denverchurch.org.
I am going on my first "group run" tonight called the Snug Run. A local Irish restaurant hosts a 5k run/walk every Thursday night and then provides a free meal for you afterwards. Apparently it's a great way to meet people and, of course, exercise! And just because my roommate told me it was full of single dudes is definitely not the reason I'm checking it out... :-)
Biking season is just around the corner for me. I am so excited to get back on my bike and start pedaling. I still need to wait a few weeks because I want to ensure the weather has been warm for awhile so I don't have to fear hitting sludge or ice on shaded spots or wipe out on gravel from the winter storms. Hopefully by April I'll be ready to roll! I am registered for the Bike MS ride again and am excited for some new team members to join us! Another great summer awaits!
No comments:
Post a Comment