Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Healthy Happy Heart

Dad will be released today! Yay! Mom said they just spoke to the doctor and now they're waiting on the neurologist to clear his discharge. My roommate also stopped in to see him (she's a dietician at that some hospital) and provided him with information on "heart healthy" eating and said he looks great.

Essentially we don't know exactly what caused this stroke. The good news is that his blood vessels aren't constricted or damaged, so he won't be on any life long medication outside of taking an aspirin a day as a blood thinner. They believe a bit of plaque built up, perhaps due to slightly elevated cholesterol, and when his heart pumped blood through that vessel it caused a piece of plaque to be knocked off and sent it to his brain as a clot.

I understand the importance of diet and exercise and as a 28 year old I participate in it more for ascetics and to feel good. But this week has really enlightened me on how critical it really is to your health, especially when you get older. Talk about a wake up call! Watch the sodium! Watch the fat! Workout your heart 3 times a week! It can literally be the difference between life and death!

On top of a slightly stressful week I had an obligation to go to the Nuggets basketball game last night. Well, technically not to the game, but to the Pepsi Center to set up a booth for the MS Society during the game. My counterpart Dawn and I handed out tee shirts and pens and told people about our Walk and Bike events this summer.

I assure you this was the LAST thing I wanted to go do last night after work and a stop at the hospital. We had to haul boxes up to the first level and set up our table and be extroverted and talk to people. However, there were so many people who stopped by and expressed how their loved one has MS that I was so thankful we were there. The MS Society is not just a fundraising place that holds fun events each year, but they provide information and support for people who are scared and concerned, and clearly people need that. So despite my cruddy attitude at first, I was glad we could be a bit of light for people who feel in the dark.

No comments: