I'm not sure if I ever thought about when I would get married. I don't often allow my heart or mind to indulge in the dream of romance and life-long companionship. In fact I rarely pray for it out of self-preservation (yes, I know, we could talk about my lack of faith on this one...). My friends and family can do that for me since my heart isn't always ready to utter that desire deep inside me.
My mom was married at 25 and had me at 29 years old. That seemed to make sense. You're out of college for a few years, establishing a career, and then BOOM you just meet someone and get married.
Most of my good friends got married around 23-24 years old. And from an "outsiders" perspective I would say it happened quite easily. There weren't break ups, heartaches, on and off again dating dramas. Boy meets girl; boy likes girl; boy pursues girl. End of story.
I am now convinced that getting married is one of the biggest miracles ever. Seriously. How the heck do people do it? No, really how the HECK do they??!! How do you find someone who you actually want to spend time with, he wants to spend time with you, you both are ready at the same time to take a step forward? It appears like such a simple concept and yet it feels ridiculously impossible. It is actually blowing my mind these days!
I'm going to be 29 years old this year and have never felt better about how my life looks. I'm not sure what will happen in 2010, but going on dates with The Professor has awakened a part of me that I forgot existed. I forgot what it feels like to actually want to spend time with a man who is wonderful. I forgot what it is like to be in the presence of someone who really challenges me emotionally and intellectually, and yet this man is wrapped up in my words, thoughts, actions, and adores my looks. I forgot about feelings that I can't re-create with a Girls Night Out; holding my hand, a sweet kiss, or an endearing compliment just don't mean as much from anyone but this man who intrigues me.
And unfortunately I don't know if these dates will ever lead to anything due to bad timing on his end. However, they are leading me to a place of hope in the world of relationships. In fact these dates are allowing me to completely re-define qualities that I now know I need in a mate and they make me want to wait [patiently] for it all the more. Marriage is a miracle.
Lord...if you desire to bring someone into my life, may he be in love with You and embody gifts that serve your kingdom and those around him.
4 comments:
It is a miracle!!! I never in a million years thought that Mark and I would have been together this long and have two children and this life together!! It is AMAZING that it all just works - But it's HARD work too, just like in any relationship. I know God has someone perfect in mind for you. I can't WAIT to meet him!!!
Agreed....it's a miracle especially when you don't think you even are attracted to that person at first! HA! I can't wait to meet your man either!
Matt broke up with me for 5 days before he told me, "I think I made a HUGE mistake." The rest is history. But, you are right--marriage is a lot of work and a total miracle. I can't wait to see what God has in store for you as you wait on Him and His perfect timing......
Kari-
The man you describe in your prayer is the one WORTH waiting for! Don't let anyone else into your heart!
Emily P.
Post a Comment