Friday, November 6, 2009

Being blindsided

My parents met on a blind date about 33 years ago. Blind dates do work for some people and I am going out on my 6th one tomorrow night. My blind date track record isn't so good, so I'm not holding my breath. But unlike the other 5 we will be with another couple, so it can't be that bad of evening, can it?

Blind Date #1 - Mike in college (circa 2001). He got my number from a mutual friend and we chatted easily for a month on the phone before meeting up. He was not good looking, had no personality in person, and hit on the cocktail waitress when we went to Red & Jerry's. Lame. It still goes down in history as the worst date.

Blind Date #2 - I can't remember his name, but he was nice (circa spring 2002). His friend met me while I was working at a bank and the friend asked if would double date with him and his girlfriend. Talk about blind - I am pretty much meeting everyone that night. The date was super nice, but I felt like I was on an interview because he kept highlighting all his good stuff in an effort to make a good impression. We went out once more, but no click.

Blind Date #3 - Jeff, April 2004. Melissa knew him from church and gave him my number. We met at a bar for happy hour and 9 hours later the date ended. Good first date. We went out 4 more times after that, but I don't think he was the good Christian boy I was looking for and I was looking for a relationship and that freaked him out. I called him with tickets to the Avs game and he never called me back.

Blind Date #4 - Rob last December. Gretchen met him through her dad (from her dad's church) and she gave him my number. I called and arranged for us to meet for a drink after work one Friday night just after Christmas. The first 1.5 hours of the date was good...minus the fact he cried. The last 2 hours of the date were awful and he just talked about himself. I was glad it ended and we never spoke again.

Blind Date #5 - Tyler also last December, same weekend as Rob. This was a historic date that involved him being sick, trying and failing to pay with an expired coupon, recently divorced with a kid, totally broke from the divorce, and absolutely no physical attraction.

Blind Date #6 - ??? If the date isn't good I pray I get a good story out of it, otherwise it really is a waste of time...

1 comment:

Jennifer McHam said...

my parents met on a blind date! :) good luck!