Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Italian confidence in American men

Before going to Italy everyone told me to have a fun with the hot Italian men or encouraged me to "fall in love". That so did not happen.

Not even close.

Not even a temptation.

Rather disappointing finds over there, especially for a slightly more conservative woman with standards...

Example #1:
After Sonya and I visited the Colosseum we walked down the busy tourist street to The Forum for more views of Ancient Rome. We passed a mime dressed as Charlie Chaplin on a box performing and just as I was passing I made eye contact with him. He motions with his hand a circle at his chest (indicating breast) and gives me a wink and the "OK" sign.

Apparently there aren't blonde's with breasts in Italy.

Example #2:
Sonya and I are waiting for a bus in Florence and a guy looks over at me and says "Ciao" in a very cool, seductive manner. I awkwardly reply back "Ciao" and quickly look at a my watch wondering when this bus will come. His friend comes over to the two of us and says "Ciao Bella" to each of us (a term we heard multiple times each day) and proceeds to encourage his friend to come over and talk to us. The guy comes over and introduces himself to me while the goober friend has no luck speaking English with Sonya.

"Come get a drink with me for five minutes, " he asks.

"Um, no thanks, we're waiting for the bus."

"Just five minutes for a drink, please."

"Well what do you think is going to happen in five minutes anyway?"

"Well, maybe ten minutes, maybe an hour, maybe you come to bed with me."

I never should have asked.

Example #3:
In Vatican City we opt to climb the 537 steps to the top of St Peter's Basilica, but can't find where to do that. I walk up to a security guard and begin my innocent inquiry.

"Excuse me", I say.

"You are excused," the (semi-cute) younger guy says.

"Where do we go to climb the stairs?"

"You are very cute."

(I blush because he's actually not that bad looking and he was very sweet)

"Um, thank you," comes a blushing reply.

"You are very kind," he says next.

"Thank you again. Um where do we go to climb the stairs?"

"Why don't you come back here in 25 minutes and I'll give you a private tour."

So they're not shy over there. However, they are a tad forward and a tad stinky. And there weren't very many "Oh, my dreaminess, he's so delicious" type guys. I missed my all-American men back home. However, if we could take the confidence of the Italian men and put them in the safer, more appealing American men, I would be one happy camper.

3 comments:

Jennifer McHam said...

Oh my!

Jenny said...

hahaha, these stories crack me up!! sounds like men are silly the world over ;o)

Anonymous said...

I was waiting for some good stories!!