Phew! Glad it's over!
My lack of training this season and not being as in shape as I was last year gave me plenty of things to worry about. Coming down with a cold four days before the ride didn't help either. In fact I think my cold got worse because I was so stressed about the ride and had dreams that I couldn't do the ride.
And just like last year I clung to my verse, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phil 4:13
And He did strengthen me and encouraged me during moments that were difficult and I needed that sweet voice to remind me to keep going.
Day One was a breeze. The weather was great, the climbs weren't too hard, my hill climbing companion Dave gave me lots of tips and encouragement to push me to the top. My parents were volunteers as Route Marshals 25 miles into the ride, so it was fun to stop and see them along the way!Rolling into CSU's campus was still a sweet victory and it felt great to finish the day so strong with energy, enthusiasm, and a sense of joy looking around at my fellow teammates who gave their time and athleticism to be there that day. Ben rode for his mother, Collin and Shiloh for their father, Dean for his sister, Dave for moral support, and I rode for my sister Amanda.
Day One Pictures:
Day One Pictures:


The distance between the 2nd 3rd stop felt like forever. Long county roads that gradually went uphill forever and ever were very tiring. The rolling hills are more fun because you climb for a second and then you fly downhill for a second. The distraction is welcomed to keep your mind from thinking about your buns, legs, lungs, or other "southerly" regions.


The distance between rest stop 3 and lunch also felt like forever. Shiloh's parents Doug and Sally bumped into us along the route and took pictures of us and provided us with the cheer leading we needed to get to lunch. I was so thankful to see their kind faces and smiles as they hugged us at this stop.Finally! Lunch! This picture says it all:

We were 45 miles into Day Two and I knew the toughest miles were yet to come. The heat was settling in and the fatigue of riding back to back days was also leaving a toll on my out of shape body. From lunch to rest stop 5 I rode alone. It was hot, long, boring, and very tiring. I continued to remind myself of why I was riding and who I was really doing this for. I continued to pray and continued to keep my focus.
At last rest stop 5 was in view and I will admit I cried as I pulled into that stop. I was feeling rather emotional and wanted it to be OVER! Not to mention I was dehydrated and sipping on warm water for an hour was really annoying.
Shiloh showed up a bit later and she too was feeling the same emotions and ready to be done. We both sat in the shade and told fellow bikers that the worst of the day was still to come. Northern Denver is rather hilly and there is nothing worse than riding up hill after hill 140 miles into your ride. A phone call from my dear friend Jenny was just what I needed to encourage me and lift my spirits.
Thank you sweet friend - I needed to hear a friendly voice at that moment!
It was time to head out and continue on. Reaching deep within my soul and heart I prayed for a good ending as we conquered this last tiring bit. I had heard the route had changed due to construction, but wasn't sure what that meant. As we continued towards our destination it became clear that the route had changed for the better and I became very energized as I realized that.
I can do this. I can finish strong.
The last 8 miles were amazing and I was beaming ear to ear since I could almost smell the Finish Line. It was calling my name and I was excited. I waited for Shiloh 3 blocks from the end so we could ride in together (our other teammates finished way before us), and together we headed to the Finish Line.
I felt the bubbles build up inside my throat at the thought of seeing my sister and parents for the first time. The tears started to brim before I even crossed and I could hear the roar of the crowd as we neared. Hundreds of people were clapping and cheering for everyone and I heard my family yelling as we went by. Arm in the air, I finished.


Praise the Lord for strength, stamina, and a spirit of accomplishment.
Hugs, pictures, tears, and emotions followed as we greeted everyone and told stories of the weekend. It is a moment I will never ever forget.

It was a different experience to ride it this year vs last. Last year we had no idea what we were getting into and simply crossing the Finish Line was enough of a goal. This year I had more time to reflect on why we were doing this, and really meet other riders to hear their stories. Everyone had a story about a loved one with MS. Some of these people are in wheel chairs, some with canes, some riders rode for a loved one who died from MS. I met a guy on the path who was paralyzed from the waist down and he was still riding. A new friend I made has MS and rode with her boyfriend on a tandem and she rode of her sister who also has MS and is wheel chair bound. The reality of why I did this ride really hit home with me this year since the pressure of finishing the ride in one piece wasn't the concern it was the year before.
It was truly humbling to be part of a movement that is giving hope to people who feel hopeless. The emotions cause me to well up every time I think of them. This isn't about riding 150 miles. This isn't about bragging rights or personal glory in the least. This is about stopping a disease that is truly devastating and prominent. My few moments of tears on the bike don't compare to tears my sister shed just days after my ride when she had to give herself a shot, and I hugged her through her pain. My fatigue, tears, and emotions over 150 miles are nothing compared to her tears, her pain, her shots, her unknown future.
It was truly humbling to be part of a movement that is giving hope to people who feel hopeless. The emotions cause me to well up every time I think of them. This isn't about riding 150 miles. This isn't about bragging rights or personal glory in the least. This is about stopping a disease that is truly devastating and prominent. My few moments of tears on the bike don't compare to tears my sister shed just days after my ride when she had to give herself a shot, and I hugged her through her pain. My fatigue, tears, and emotions over 150 miles are nothing compared to her tears, her pain, her shots, her unknown future.
Thank you for reading this story...thank you for your encouragement....thank you for prayers....thank you for playing a role in stopping MS.
I can't wait to do this again next year! I hope you'll be there by my side again.
3 comments:
At least you're looking forward to next year already! You did great and we are proud of all of you.
So, so, so proud of you, Kari! Such an amazing accomplishment and I love how you keep giving the glory to God and sharing the true reasons you did this! You are awesome, girl! :)
Next year I plan on looking good in my Spandex. Well done this year, well done!
Post a Comment