Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Dating Deadlines

Today's CNN headline read, "I will be married by this date..."

Of course I had to read the article.

'Neenah is on a mission to find love and her countdown to do so can be monitored,' is how the article begins. She began a website dedicated to her mission of searching for a husband called "52 weeks 2 find him".

Neenah is 43 years old has decided she's past the point of believing it will just happen, so she's taking destiny into her own hands and approaching her dating life with organization, hard work, and productivity. She feels like a deadline is important because she's dated more in the last 2 months than the last 2 years and is becoming exhausted already.

What an intriguing idea. First, I am impressed that this lady is willing to literally put her entire dating life in the public eye. Second, I am curious about the men she's meeting, especially knowing she has a deadline to meet a husband, and thirdly, I wonder if it will work.

Neenah also talks about how she'll use this year to really focus on her heart and search for love, not just focus on her career. She wants to add to her already full life and hopefully find one to love.

On some levels I understand where this woman is coming from, and to a certain extent I can relate to the notion of wanting to take control over a situation and being the tool to create your own luck. And yet, I do believe in a balance of being proactive and still knowing that the Lord knows my heart and my future.

I'm not saying handing over dreams of love is easy. It is handed over daily sometimes. But I also acknowledge that being proactive in dating will allow more opportunities to come along for the Lord to mold me. I can't expect God to deliver someone to my house on a Saturday night while I'm knitting and listening to Barbara Streisand because quite frankly I've never met a pizza delivery guy that wowed me. :-)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm thankful for a faith that allows me peace when I feel unrest with life. Because honestly, I don't know what sort of website I would come up for this kind of thing...

Psalm 37:4 “Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.” (NIV)

2 comments:

Jenny said...

wow, interesting. it is brave of her to publish that publicly. i don't know what kind of website yours would be either, but i don't think we'll need to find out ;o)

Joseph "Raven" Penta said...

Caedmon's Call - Table for Two

Best Single Person Song Ever.