I believe every woman owns one pair of patient pants. These pants are usually tucked in the back of the closet beneath layers of emotions, thoughts, anxiety, and worries.
These are the pants we need to pull out and wear when we're anxious about something and can't wait for it to happen.
The patient pants expression developed last ski season on our way up to Copper Mountain. Traffic was horrible as usual and our frustrated driver was not too happy with the other people on the road. Our back seat passenger gently reminded her that she needed to wear her Patient Pants and we will eventually get to the ski mountain. Since then, that expression has been used to help a friend through an annoying time and simmer her down, and we've applied it to actual issues of the heart.
My Patient Pants revolve around meeting a great guy (which I'm sure is an absolute shocker). Not a good guy, or a sweet guy, or a nice guy, but a truly great guy. And not just to date for a certain time frame, but to actually marry. It can be a little teasing when you meet decent prospects along the way while searching and wonder if they're worth investing in...so I put on my Patient Pants and try to remember that time feels slow now, but later I'll look back at this season of my life and think how quickly it flew by. I try to constantly have prospective, but alas some days are better than others. I am a girl and sometimes that darn gene gets the best of me.
I'm 16 months out of my last relationship. Time has definitely flown by. It has been over 12 months since we've spoken. Each month I strive for healing and forgiveness. I no longer cringe at his name, or feel ill when I see his picture, or get a flip in my stomach when I remember the details of the break up. I can now acknowledge that I went through that pain, and came out OK on the other end. In fact, I've never been happier. I have a deep sense of joy and peace in my soul that came from my Maker after months of prayer and ups and downs. When we first broke up my initial feelings were, "Why did I ever go through this? The pain I feel WAS NOT worth that relationship!!!" I forgot I felt that way until Sarah reminded me last week. Because last week I said, "Now that I'm on the other side of the pain I'm glad I had that relationship, and I'm also glad it ended. I've learned so much and am thankful I can take that wisdom with me into the next relationship."
Perhaps I wasn't as articulate as my paraphrase depicted, but you get the idea.
I think I'll appreciate special qualities in the next man and not take them for granted. I am so blessed for that ability to recognize traits and qualities that should be cherished in a mate. I'm also thankful for time and knowing everything happens in His timing, and not my own.
So I'm wearing my Patient Pants and patiently tapping my nails...waiting...hoping...seeking...praying...learning...growing...living...
Melissa told me..."wear those Patient Pants a little longer, and then you can wear your Married Pants and then no pants at all..."
“The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him.” Nahum 1:7 (NIV)
3 comments:
Love the Melissa quote :-)
That Melissa sure is wise and cleaver too!
Ha. Love you.
Mel
I like the "patient pants" theory. Just keep waiting. I had to wait for Jeff for 10 years before he came around. And then we were married within 8 months of dating. Keep waiting & praying.
Post a Comment