When Sarah and I were in high school all we wanted to do was hurry up and graduate, get away from the drunk 17 year olds and start college as independent thinkers who had the whole future in front of them. Then we got to college...and all we wanted to do was graduate and get away from the drunk 21 year olds and start our lives as young, working professionals with endless opportunities.
So in 2003 we both graduated from college with business degrees. We were blessed to start new jobs at companies that supported our career endeavors and gave us enough money to live off of. Since 2003 Sarah has been a rock star at her job, found a fabulous husband who adores her, and is the owner of a cute dog named Manny. As her best friend, I couldn't be happier for her and am so proud of her!
Since 2003 I've also accomplished a lot too. I moved to Minneapolis (then back to CO) and started a career in retail merchandising, seen my mom through cancer, helped support my sister's health battles, learned a lot about relationships and found myself with the greatest friends from coast to coast.
But recently (like this month) I've had to sort out who I am and what I want out of life. I never wanted to get married before the age of 25 or 26, but now that 27 came along things are looking different. These endless opportunities I thought I had seem few and far between now. Is that my fault? What I am doing to reach for those things I dreamed of having? Don't get me wrong, this isn't an entry about the woes of singleness, because I still love my world, but it's about understanding that you've arrived and this is your life. There's no more graduating to the next level and "escaping" things about your previous lifestyle you didn't like. I'm also understanding that how I spend my time and who I spend it with is crucial.
How do I want to fill my schedule? What are my priorities? Who are my priorities?
So whether you're married, single, dating, or with children, I am sure it dawned on you at some point, "hey, this is it...I need to make the most of it." So I want to try and enjoy each day I have in its own way. I want to make a list of places to visit, and go see them. I want to stop day dreaming about adventures and start living them. Even in the smallest of ways on a minimal budget I can do those things. I also want to find myself in a job that is rewarding and makes me happy, not just crunching numbers in corporate America.
I guess it just dawned on me that I can't wait for things to come along and hope they bring me a new and unique happiness, but I have to decide I want that for myself and go for it. I could hope for a future mate to shake my world around, but I could also find myself thinking these same life thoughts in my marriage if I don't make an effort to seek contentment and adventure today.
I also want to live a life that is for Christ. Some weeks are better then others in my walk, but if I make Him the focus, then I hope and pray He'll fulfill me and my desires will be His. And I won't feel like a there's a missing piece in my life or that I've become a complacent person simply because I have not achieved things Christ is asking of me.
So these are my rambling thoughts for today. I want to "go for it". And I don't want to miss out on anything just because I was waiting to graduate to the next phase.
I Corinthians 2:9, “However, as it is written: No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him.” (NIV)
No comments:
Post a Comment