Thursday, October 29, 2009

Tuscany's Hilltop Towns - Part II

San Gimignano - Friday PM

Oh how I loved Italy public transportation. Or not. I'm sure it's a fine system when you know it, but the buses are crowded and the ride is jerky. Boo. We finally arrived in San G on a cloudy, but still nice, afternoon. We stopped at the first place in the city walls for a slice of heaven/pizza and figured out our plan of action. We had reservations at a Farmhouse in Certaldo, but unfortunately didn't have the best directions of how to get there and ended up losing some money on our deposit in exchange for staying in the town of San G. Good move on our part. Way less walking. We enjoyed walking the sleepy town and shopping at the cute stores. We bought the most amazing $6 bottle of Chianti and perched ourselves on a ledge to check out the rolling hills of Tuscany.
I wish I was a better writer and could create poetic words to describe what I saw, but alas, I'll let my photos do the talking.
We had dinner that night and realized this town shuts DOWN at 8pm, so we retired to bed early and read until we fell asleep.
Chianti - Saturday
Today we are doing a real wine tour. The tour of Chianti took us to two wineries, 1 hilltop town, and 1 castle. Our group included 4 (boring) women from Slovakia and a fun couple from California. Our first stop was the Castle of Monteriggioni. We didn't have much time there, but snapped a few photos before the weather started in and headed off to the 1st winery.
The hostess at the first place showed us around the estate which used to be a monk's home. We sampled three different wines paired with delicious food and gained some knowledge about how everything was prepared and made.Next we went to the town of Castellina and literally spent 10minutes there before leaving for the next place. Our driver was a little behind schedule.Our next winery was beautifully located and enjoyed three more samplings with great food. This place specialized in honey and age vinegar, both were awesome!
And off we went to Florence...bags loaded...ciao!

No comments: