Thursday, August 27, 2009

Until my answer is yes, my answer is no

“… But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:13b-14 (ESV)

Temptations are all around me, every day, all day at times. Temptations to eat another sweet, temptation to gossip, or temptations to procrastinate another project.

I also have temptations to make un-wise dating decisions. At my core I know that I will overcome these struggles of mixed thoughts and choose what is right, but the initial desire is to suffice my desires with immediate gratification.

I’ve recently had a very weird experience that most of you already know about. In fact I find it quite humorous because I literally got to re-live the exact same situation I experienced five years earlier in my life, but this time I was able to handle it differently.

Five years ago after abruptly ending a long distance *something I found this guy again on Facebook and was able to apologize for my 23 year old response to him when he wanted something from me that I wasn’t able to give. Noting that our faith was in a different place and he was quite passionate, maybe even forcefully intense, it caused me to have justified reservations with this long-distance gentleman and I told him I didn’t think we were a good fit and I wanted to move on. And move on I did when I left for Minneapolis 6 weeks later and started a new adventure.

Now, present day, this guy is calling me again and I, yet again, enjoy our conversations. I admit I am mentally attracted to him thanks to his open communication and intellect, but after dropping mentions of my church, bible study, and faith, I received no reply or interest. My curiosities were sufficed and I knew that nothing had changed in five years.

I felt convicted to tell him that my intentions were not romantic and that this could only be a friendship. After great encouragement from guy friends Joseph and Steve, I knew I needed to be clear and not send out hope. The long-distance man told me last Wednesday night that he wanted to come to Colorado to visit me. While I wasn’t the main attraction since he is from here and has family and friends in the area, I was definitely a motivation for this random, last-minute trip.

Sunday night I chat with him again and he mentioned this visit to CO and how he wanted to see me, and I lead right into my talk. With my heart racing I explained where I was coming from and what I could offer him. He quickly agreed that long-distance wasn’t much of an option, but continued to share all these feelings with me; words that I’ve longed to hear from a guy since my ex and words that any woman would enjoy hearing. He was even prepared to leave his job in California if he knew a relationship waited for him in Colorado. And yet my heart broke since I knew I was causing someone pain since my “rejection” was black and white. I could not offer him gray hope of any kind. He continued to persuade me in hopes that I would change my mind or perhaps lend the possibility that if we spent time together my heart would change and I would be open to a relationship with him. And yet the only thing I could think of was words from Sarah: “Until my answer is yes, my answer is no.” I couldn’t match his desire and I couldn’t pretend that it would change someday.

Of course I love the notion that a man wanted to fly out to see me and wanted to plan a great weekend together. Of course I love that a man adored me for reasons I’ve always wanted to hear. But if the faith piece wasn’t there, then all else didn’t matter.

Now I sit here with temptations of wanting to explore what “could be”. Temptations to enjoy a fun weekend full of dates or temptations of hearing electric words that are laced with romance. And yet when I sit and remind myself of these temptations I find they aren’t so tempting after all since I know what this man desires from me is not what God desires for me. And peace flows through my body. I don’t know if God wills me to be a wife a someday, but I also know he wills me to steer clear of relationships that seize to honor my relationship with Him.

So unless I feel a strong YES surging from my heart, I will have to say NO to relationship hopefuls that don’t share a foundation that is essential to my being.

“… But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:13b-14 (ESV)

*Something refers to a relationship that wasn’t technically a relationship, but it was filled with emotions, intentions, and expectations…

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I completely admire you for making such a difficult decision. I love that you stuck with your guns and didn't give him any false hope of any kind. You deserve someone that loves the Lord more then he loves you but will also love you dearly and encourage your walk together.

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Kari....keep hanging in there and pressing on. We're praying for that you and "him" whoever he may be....

Sarah said...

That saying has certainly served me well...and in unexpected ways :-)

Though the struggle still remains, you should be so proud that you have grown into a woman of God that can make the right decision without hesitation!