Thanksgiving.
Three years ago at almost this exact time we were visiting my mom at the hospital during her fourth round of chemo. Thanksgiving was days away and my mom lay in bed sick and tired. We still had that awful prognosis of her health and in my heart prepared for this to be my final Thanksgiving with her. I became over whelming thankful for every single moment I had with her. Every holiday, birthday, vacation, shopping trip, and dinner seemed like the most amazing memory in the entire world.
Of course we prayed for her health and a future without cancer, but we also prayed that she would just come home to have a meal with us. The thought of her being in the hospital was too daunting to accept. Each round of chemo had been worst than the last, so we anticipated her either staying in the hospital or being in her bedroom at home all day missing out on the turkey, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie. In fact I became nervous that at the age of 24 I would have to prepare the full meal for our family, uncle, and grandma. Yikes!
But our gracious Father not only allowed my mother to come that Thanksgiving, but He gave her this amazing strength to prepare the entire feast. She didn’t even want anyone’s help. I think she was so thankful to just be home and feeling miraculously well that she wanted to ignore the cancer and her sickness and feel like our energetic mother again. The mother who goes above and beyond to serve her family, especially during special holidays like Thanksgiving.
Each Thanksgiving our family and friends share our thankful moments around the table before diving in. We haven’t had a dry eye at the dinner table for three years. We continually thank and praise the Lord for mom’s presence and continued health.
Sometimes I forget about those moments. I swore after my mom’s diagnosis I wouldn’t sweat the small stuff or let myself get caught in things that didn’t really matter. Unfortunately I’m not able to avoid those thoughts of pettiness, frustrations, or annoyances in life. Granted, I don’t dwell on those things like maybe I once used to, but they still seep into my head from day to day. I miss having a great prospective on life…but I don’t miss the cost of having it.
So I pray that I find that prospective on my own. I pray I find time to be thankful for everything that is so good around me, especially when so many others are suffering on all levels. I pray that while Thanksgiving and Christmas stirs up sentiment of love and thankfulness, I can carry that each week with me.
Things could be worse. Things HAVE been worse. Things have been horribly, terribly, inconceivable, and awful. I’ve hit the closest thing to rock bottom that I’ve ever known, and the Almighty Glorious Father delivered me and my family from devastation.
I hope your Thanksgiving is filled with a joy beyond just the day, but truly a moment to put all annoyances in perspective and relish in the blessings that spare you from heartache or tragedy. And if you do have sadness weighing on your heart this year, know that Jesus Christ is the rescuer of all hurt. Lay your request before Him and trust that He can bring miracles into your life and there is always hope.
This verse is on my bathroom mirror. I love it.
Psalm 16:8, “I have set the LORD always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.” (NIV)
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/shrader
1 comment:
I couldn't keep a dry eye while reading this. Thanks for sharing this Kari, it does help me remember what I am truly thankful for in life and that the Lord is so good. Praise God your mom is doing well and sharing a feast with you this year!!!!
Post a Comment