Sunday, August 10, 2008

View from 14,200 feet

Do you know what the view looks like from 14,200 feet? I didn't either...until yesterday!
Shiloh, Sonya and I climbed Grays Peak along with Shannon and Jeff (Shi's sister and bro-in-law) and her friend Mike. It was an incredible experience that covered a wide spectrum of muscles aches and emotions. While it is considered easy from a technical stand point (we didn't need ropes, helmets or other gear), it was certainly very challenging and required you to be in decent shape to achieve it.
Stats:
Elevation: 14,270
9th tallest 14er in CO (out of 54)
7.50 mi round trip
Elevation gain of 3000 ft
~
We started our hike at 7:40am on the nose so we could beat the thunderstorms that frequent the Colorado Rocky Mountains in the afternoon. Our trek began and I had no idea what to expect because I've never hiked anything that difficult. And it was foggy and overcast so I wasn't even sure what the top of the peak looked like. The first hour was challenging, but mostly a trail that headed up towards the peak. We started our hike a few feet above tree line, so there wasn't much to protect us from the elements, or much shelter should you need a bathroom break (which became a problem for us girls as the day went on...)
~
I was suprised at how difficult it was in certain aspects. It was definitely doable, but you just can't breathe. Towards the end (last hour to the top) you're putting one foot in front of the other at a snails pace, your heart is racing, and you have to stop every 25-50 ft to break. It was crazy! And I felt like we hiked for 15 miles, but it was only 7.5 miles round trip, but when you climb 3,000ft in elevation it certainly feels like further!
~
But the view at the top was amazing! We could see Lake Dillon, Mt Evans, Keystone Ski Resort and a million other amazing mountains. Just breath-taking. Colorado is truly God's country! We signed the guest book at the top to mark our accomplishment and had fun taking pictures and just enjoying the spectacular view. I was just in awe of what we saw!
~
However, the hike down was almost as grueling as the hike up. Granted it didn't take as long and we didn't as many breaks, but the constant pounding on your knees and fear of losing your balance on the rocks caused us to focus greatly and keep steady. And at the end I had to pee so bad I wanted to cry. And like I mentioned, there weren't any trees for shelter, so we just plugged along and I was practically limping at the bottom due to my feet being sore and my bladder suffering!
~
I would completely recommend doing it for those who haven't. It is just incredible and really worth it. Make sure you have decent lung capacity and strong legs. You'll need both!!!
~
First photo of the day at the trailhead
Me and Shannon near the bottom. You can see how foggy it was in the morning. And the "fun" begins. Rocks, rocks, and more rocks. Watch your footing!Jeff taking a breather (something we all did quite often)Views like this make it worth itOur group breaking for some food before going another 1-1.5hrs to the very topWe made it! Sonya and I showing our toughness at the topOur cheek to cheek girl photo - yay girls - we did it!Sonya and I with Lake Dillon in the background (the BIG lake in the upper left) Team Summit arrives at the top and all in one piece!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Yeah! We did it. Glad it's over!

Shi Town said...

Go Team Summit! We rock. All in all, it was a pretty decent day.