Thursday, May 1, 2008

When to worry

It's funny how the "worries" of our life quickly escalate into mammoth concerns, when in actuality they're not that big of deal. Perhaps this is a good thing because it means you live a relatively worry-free life, or perhaps it means you've lost perspective with what truly matters at the end of the day. I go back and forth personally.

Two years ago my world was really difficult. My mom had just gotten out of a the hospital from a stem cell transplant. She was weak, sick, thin, battling cancer, and tired. Our whole family was tired and stressed. We spent a lot of time in the hospital and a lot of time crying, praying, and leaning on God. I definitely kept my list of worries pretty short: Mom and Sister. The things I didn't worry about were friends, boys, jobs, etc.

Now I find myself in a world that shouldn't have any worries and yet I still worry. My mom is healthy and her cancer is still in remission...my sister's MS is still responding well to medication. And yet I worry (not daily or anything, but they are things I think about way too much). I worry about being single forever. I worry about fitting into my swimsuit this summer. I worry about finding a job that is better fit for my personality. I worry that I don't pour enough into my female friendships. Don't get me wrong, I'm not losing sleep over ANY of this stuff, but my mind wanders in that direction. I think we're all entitled to worry over those little things in life if we still keep in mind that we could be worrying over a lot more. I don't ever want to forget the heartache I've been through in life. It's shaped my soul forever and transformed me into a woman of leadership, obedience, and reliance on the Lord. But I don't want to give too much weight to stressing over my thighs or lack of dating life. For those things don't really matter in the greater scheme of life.

The things I want to worry about and lay before God are things that truly affect other's. Here's a list of things I should spend time in prayer over and not stress about MY world:
  • My good friend's friend has a bad cancer. We don't know if she'll beat it.
  • My friend's sister in law just had a miscarriage this weekend.
  • My dear friend has had three miscarriages in the last year. They deserve a healthy child.
  • My sister's MS is a daily battle.
  • My friend's mom still struggles daily with side affects from her chemo. This has gone on for a year.

Those are the thoughts I want to fill my head when I find myself dwelling on the petty stuff. There are people that NEED prayer and NEED to know I'm praying for them. Their worries mean something to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the good reminder kar bear, i needed that refreshment today. you put things so elegantly, it reminds me not to let my worries become more complicated than they should be!

Anonymous said...

You are a women of God and we all know that when we ask for your prayers we will get them!

Love you.
Mel