Friday, October 26, 2007

Things I've learned since fishing

My friend Sarah and I agreed that analogies are only appropriate if used to explain humorous situations. I cannot use them to give a deep descriptions about how "God is the wheel and we are just spokes coming off of it" (old inside joke from a trip to Mexico in 10th grade). But I've used several analogies since starting my blog. They revolve around being single and riding on the saddle again or checking out the "other fish in the sea". So why stop? I must continue to build off that.

I grabbed my fishing pole and tackle box and have headed down to the pond/sea. And since I live in Colorado its more like a man built reservoir that dries out by mid-July and appears rather murky and unwelcoming. Nevertheless I'm checking out my options. I have learned so much!! I've been single for 5.5 months and its been an adventure. I've cried, cried more, cried again, healed, grown, laughed, been encouraged, been amused, been pursued, and grown in my walk with the Lord. That's quite a bit to cover in 5.5 months. If you haven't learned anything from past experiences then you're missing the point of God. If He made everything happy and easy in my life then I wouldn't rely on Him the way I needed to. And the biggest truth to swallow is I'll never have the answer to WHY? but rather trust that His outcome will far surpass anything I could have planned for myself.

OK, back to analogies and random list making.

Things I've learned since fishing:
  1. I will always over think my actions and intentions when it comes to men.
  2. Guys are really funny when it comes to getting to know women. They really like emails and text messages, so their intentions are a bit fuzzy and hard to follow at times.
  3. Your first date after a big break up IS a big deal. It's the ultimate sign you've moved on and haven't turned into a heartless bitter spinster (mine is this weekend - wish me luck).
  4. I am a slow text messager, but a fast emailer. However, the phone and I are best friends.
  5. A new hair cut and color does wonders for your self-esteem, as does losing 10lbs. I highly recommend it for any woman who needs a change.
  6. There's a chance I've built a bit of a wall that might need some help tearing down at some point.
  7. Don't date guys who focus more on their needs then the needs of their friends, family, or quiet time with God.
  8. Be straight-up and brutally honest if the situation calls for it. Leading a person on isn't fair and its a waste of your time.
  9. In the midst of dealing with men and how distracting they can be, you'll always need your family and friends no matter what. Those relationships are priceless and won't ever disappoint you. Take time to nurture them and pray over those people.
  10. Thank goodness God is in control because I don't know what the heck I'm doing half the time!

Psalm 55:22 "Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall."
Proverbs 16:3 "Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go fishing. Then dock it.

Honeycutt Family said...

It is Thursday afternoon at 4pm and I have not seen a single vacation pic yet!!!! I expect to see some tonight at dinner, missy! And I want to hear ALL about it! I can't wait to see your awesome tan--I'm sooooo jealous! ;)
Jen